NFS Gateway for NetWare® 6.5 is a powerful, convenient tool that enables NetWare 6.5 servers to access Unix and Linux NFS exported file systems. Using the gateway, NetWare servers can mount NFS file systems as virtual NetWare Novell Storage Services™ (NSS) volumes. Once this occurs, NetWare clients can transparently access files and directories on any NFS server system on the network.
NFS Gateway for NetWare 6.5 integrates with the NSS 3 file system and has been designed to take advantage of the unique file system interface provided by NSS. This leads to greater performance and scalability of the NFS Gateway service; it can handle more files and directories—with better performance—than previous versions.
NFS Gateway for NetWare 6.5 benefits customers whose heterogeneous environments include Unix and Linux operating platforms and NAS appliance storage. Specifically, NFS Gateway allows Novell® (NCP) clients, Windows Native (CIFS) clients and FTP clients to securely access Unix and Linux data as if it were data on a local NetWare NSS volume. This applies NetWare security, file system visibility and access controls to the Unix and Linux storage data, as well as to any storage exported from NAS appliances.
If customers choose to run both Web Services Applications and other applications on their NetWare servers, they can allow those applications to access additional Network Attached Storage from NAS appliances, which also export their storage via the NFS protocol.
NFS Gateway for NetWare 6.5 includes all of the features of NFS Gateway for NetWare 6.0:
- Improved scalability
- New installation program
- Enhanced LSS interface for NSS 3
- Support for SMP
- Dynamic mounting and dismounting of Gateway volumes over UDP
- Volumes accessible through CIFS clients
- Greater interoperability with different NFS servers
- Improved file I/O handling
- Support for symbolic and hard links
- Support for unicode characters
- Cluster-enabled for high availability and load balancing
- Logging feature for viewing errors, information on current operations and warning messages
It also includes the following new features:
- Web-based administration using iManager
- Dynamic configuration supported for NFSGY and GYMOUNT NetWare Loadable Modules (NLMs)
- Dynamic remote procedure call (RPC) timeout handling in responding to network conditions
- Show mount utility NLM for viewing NFS-exported paths from a remote machine
- Upgraded configuration
For more information on NFS Gateway for NetWare 6.5, see the NFS Gateway for NetWare 6.5 documentation.